"The 10 High Points of 2013"(from less high to highest of the high)
10. Symphony - This was on last year's list too. Either I'm getting older, or things are finally running the way they should, but this past year was really good for us. Good audiences, great programs, no real hassles--who'da thunk it?
9. HNT Continues - It started as a one-time celebration of the first year without HNT. People sort of liked it, so it was extended to once every three months. People still liked it, but it just didn't have the same feel. So this Thursday will be the absolute final HNT. You can check it out here.
8. Twinkies - I wept a little bit when Hostess shut down. In my diabetic state, it's something I parted ways with long ago. But when the new company brought them back, I bought a box of them. Just to show my approval!
7. iPhone 5s - I hadn't planned on getting the new iPhone, but Verizon emailed me two days before it came out to offer me $200 for my old iPhone. Which conveniently was the same price as the cheapest version of the new phone. Well played, Verizon. Well played!
6. New FB Friends - For whatever reason, I picked up quite a few new friends on Facebook over the past few months. Lots of former students, lots of people I'd lost touch with over the last 4-5 years. I have lots of gripes about FB, but it really is a great way to keep in touch!
5. Football - Last year, my three 'local' football teams were quite a letdown, with the Griz and the Saints missing the playoffs for the first time in years. And my old high school missed them as well. Fast forward to this year...the Griz made the playoffs (and more importantly, beat the Cats and kept them OUT of the playoffs!!!), the Saints lost in the semifinals in overtime, and the high school team made the playoffs (with my nephew almost setting a single game receiving record in their loss!). So things are back to normal around here on that front!
4. Knight Sisters - Way back in the earliest days of HNT, a very sweet Canadian joined in, and quickly became a favorite. I believe she was my first official MG, too. Eight years later, she and her sister embarked on a massive road trip through the Midwest/West. Knowing that she'd most likely have to pass by Helena on her way home, I imposed upon them to stop by for lunch, and they did! This would have gone higher on the list, but we had far too little time together!
3. Symphony Under the Stars - Our 10th summer concert went off without a hitch under my second year as production manager. Sure, there were minor things here and there, but you can't put on a huge production like this without an irritation or two. The theme was "Fiesta Latina", and we heard from the grounds crew at the college that they'd never seen so many empty tequila bottles! Ah, the joys of an outdoor concert! At my side for her second year was my assistant Libby. All I can say about her is that I wish I could clone her! Unquestionably the hardest working kid I know. I just had lunch with her this afternoon, and she's definitely on board for next summer's concert!!
2. OsTour '13 - I didn't really plan on any OsTour this summer, but then I remembered that Margaret had planned a 40th bday party for her hubby (over a year in the planning), so I checked the calendar and saw that that particular weekend would be the last chance for me to get away before the big summer concert. So on a Friday morning, I head towards Sacramento. A full 1000 miles through all that northern Nevada had to offer (ick). As I noted in the "lows" list, I handed over $1500 to a tire shop for new tires on the way down. That's what kept this from being #1 on the list. In spite of that, I had a great time, though I'll never drive to Sacramento and back in just three days! While I was at the party, I got to see Margaret, of course, but also Sam, from Sam's Stories! Then I joined MissCrystal (from Miss' Budoir) and her family for dinner! The trip was really too short for the occasion, but we packed in as much fun as we could!
1. Portland/Diva - OsTour '13, Part II happened unexpectedly. Also as mentioned in the "lows", I sold my car, at a loss, to my step-niece. Part of the deal was to drive it out to her in Portland, then flying back home (thanks to my sister's miles!). Knowing I wouldn't have access to a car, and with the short notice, I knew I couldn't meet up with the same crew as last year, other than Bipolar Diva. She was able to meet up for lunch, and we had a great time! The trip was nice because I was able to spend time with my sister, which doesn't happen much, as well as one of my nieces who lives there now. But the highlight of the trip was our lunch. I can't wait to get back out there again!!!
And thus ends this year's list. My "Highs" for 2013.
Many of you are probably already at parties as I'm posting this. I'm staying home and watching "The Walking Dead" all night. I hope that everyone is having a safe but fun NYE! Looking forward to a great 2014!!